Three years on, Minku continues to define a fresh sub-Saharan aesthetic through its subtle use of cultural elements and artisan approach to contemporary bagmaking.
Minku founder Kunmi was on a computer science research and consultancy path when she discovered her intense enjoyment of designing and creating everyday items.
She received her Masters degree in Computer Science from Virginia Tech in 2007, and graduated summa cum laude with a Computer Science Bachelors degree from Howard University in 2005, interning in the technology division of Goldman Sachs in the summers of 2003 and 2004. Prior to that, she attended secondary school in Queen's College, Lagos, Nigeria. There, she won the Fine Arts prize every year.
Minku is a family-run limited liability company.
The Minku philosophy:
- There lies a unique beauty in things painstakingly handmade.
- Repurpose, reuse, and reduce waste (80% of our bag interiors are lined with repurposed items of Yoruba ceremonial dress - aso-oke and damask fabrics).
- Personalized design over masstige whenever possible.
The typical Minku loyalist:
- has a strong ability to respond with appreciation and excitement to everyday items made in an unusual way.
- appreciates the functionality of a well-made bag.